Re: DBMirror.pl performance change

От Peter Wilson
Тема Re: DBMirror.pl performance change
Дата
Список pgsql-general
The Whitebeam implementation of DBMirror.pl :
    http://www.whitebeam.org/library/guide/TechNotes/replicate.rhtm

is a complete re-write in 'C' which avoids a lot of the text processing, and what text processing is required is done
usinga state machine rather
than repeated regular expressions. Before I wrote the 'C' implementation I did look at optimising the Perl version. One
ofmy big concerns was the
time taking escaping and re-escaping the strings. I can't remember the details now but as far as I can remember a lot
ofthat is unnecessary. There
seemed to be an unescape of the data then a re-escape to the target database. In practice the data was in the correct
format.

We make quite heavy use of both BYTEA and large varchar fields in our database. I did some load testing at the time and
foundthe new version could
replicate 10s of file objects per second - where the Perl version took 10 minutes to replicate a 120K BYTEA field (both
ona slowish machine, but the
Perl version wasn't much better on a fast machine *and* took 97% CPU).

I also took the opportunity to make the 'C' version much more tolerant to lost DB connections without having to restart
andadded a few other tweaks
to make it more flexible.

It's released under the BSD license now as well

Pete
--
http://www.whitebeam.org
http://www.yellowhawk.co.uk