Re: VMWare file system / database corruption

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: VMWare file system / database corruption
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 11:53 AM, Vick Khera <vivek@khera.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 1:40 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
>>  Even if properly setup NFS is a problem waiting to
>> happen, and it's not reliable storage for a database in my opinion.
>

> It reads to me that the VMware image is pulled from NFS, so as far as
> Pg is concerned, it is speaking to a local disk. Whether that disk is
> properly backed to disk is an open question.  I don't know what kind
> of durability guarantee postgres can give you if the VM itself is
> read/written over a known not-100% reliable file system.

Oh, I completely read that wrong then.

> That is, does the sync() call inside the VM not return until the
> underlying VM image data is on actual hard platters? I doubt it.

I'm pretty sure fsync is properly supported in VMWare by default, but
there are settings to turn it off.  Could be the other way around.
Either way, this isn't really the best place probably to get VMWare
support.

Сообщение: Re: VMWare file system / database corruption
Сообщение: Re: VMWare file system / database corruption