Re: VMWare file system / database corruption

От Vick Khera
Тема Re: VMWare file system / database corruption
Дата
DDL with Reference on them.  (Michael Gould <mgould@intermodalsoftwaresolutions.net>)
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 1:40 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
>  Even if properly setup NFS is a problem waiting to
> happen, and it's not reliable storage for a database in my opinion.

It reads to me that the VMware image is pulled from NFS, so as far as
Pg is concerned, it is speaking to a local disk. Whether that disk is
properly backed to disk is an open question.  I don't know what kind
of durability guarantee postgres can give you if the VM itself is
read/written over a known not-100% reliable file system.

That is, does the sync() call inside the VM not return until the
underlying VM image data is on actual hard platters? I doubt it.