Re: Setting Shared-Buffers

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: Setting Shared-Buffers
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 10:27 PM, <sriram.dandapani@bt.com> wrote:

> 2G per process is plenty ...and useful if you have large data warehouse style queries which are long running
(especiallymultiple of those)

For you, yes.  But not necessarily for others.

> We do benefit from the Linux memory caching model regardless of what Postgres uses right ?

Definitely.

> On a machine which we upgraded from 4G to 16G on a 32 bit PAE kernel...we saw a doubling of performance for most
queriesof a certain type.(mostly data warehouse type accessing several hundreds of thousands of records).

> Postgres version that we use is 8.1.9.

I bet you'd see another big performance improvement with a 64bit OS
and pgsql AND an upgrade to 8.4.  But if it's fast enough, then stick
to 8.1.x  I would recommend an update to the latest 8.1 release
though.