Re: Setting Shared-Buffers

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: Setting Shared-Buffers
Дата
Re: Setting Shared-Buffers
Список pgsql-admin
On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 3:26 PM, Anj Adu<fotographs@gmail.com> wrote:
> You can use upto 64G of RAM on a 32 bit RHEL 5/ Fedora 8 OS using the kernel
> PAE extension.

And it's about 15% slower, and pgsql itself can only access ~2 or 3G
shared and 2G per process.  I routinely set shared_buffers to well
over 3G on big machines, and have a few reporting queries that run
truly huge work_mem settings.  Really, there's not much reason to be
running postgresql on 32 bit unix anymore, unless you're stuck using
an ancient flavor or something.

However, I was referring to Windows, where things are even worse, as
the OS only sees 3Gigs total cause apparently it doesn't support PAE.