Re: Replicating between different Slony versions?

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: Replicating between different Slony versions?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 3:20 PM, Avi Blackmore <support@satshot.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm working on migrating our database cluster from PostgreSQL 8.1 to 8.3.
>  I'm following the "dump and restore, then use Slony to replicate"
> procedure, to minimize downtime.  The problem is, the new 2.0 version of
> Slony-I does not support anything prior to 8.3, so I have to install
> different versions of Slony-I.

Not sure that will work.  or if it does if it will work properly.

> My question is, is this even feasible?  Or would I be better off installing
> Slony-I 1.x on my 8.3 cluster, and then upgrading it after the migration?

Ding!  That's what I'd do.

> I ask first because I am extremely skittish about experimenting with a
> production database cluster.  :-)

I'd make a backup, restore it to a test server, and start testing.  I
am pretty protective of my production servers as well.  Testing is the
only way to see your problems ahead of time.