Re: Heavy postgres process

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: Heavy postgres process
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 2:23 PM, Guido Barosio <gbarosio@gmail.com> wrote:
> Where can I buy that t-shirt? :)
>
> Hmm, you are right. My intention was to explain that the case for a
> 7.4.21 (wich AFAIK is the latest one of the 7.4 series) is the same as
> for the v8 series of the server. 7.4.8 seems to be the latest one
> before a dump & restore would be a good idea. That was my point.
>
> Apologies for the noise!

No!  it's a very valid point.  it's just that you don't have to dump
restore after 7.4.7 to get the security fixes in the catalog, there's
a sql only way to avoid that.    Plus, if you don't do it, you're only
missing one small security update.

The data eating bugs in early 7.4 releases are plentiful and ugly.  I
was just scanning through the release notes and there were data eating
bugs in 7.4.6 through 7.4.17.  Lots of them.  It's more important to
upgrade to squash those and forget about the security bug than to let
the security bug hold you back on the update.