Re: Maximum number of concurrent users

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: Maximum number of concurrent users
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 11:51 AM, Mathias Stjernström
<mathias@globalinn.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have no experience running postgreSQL under windows but when reading the
> Windows FAQ (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.FAQ_windows.html#4.4)
> Its seem like you can get in trouble with some of the libraries that
> postgres uses.
>
> Regarding performance it's hard to tell because of all the different factors
> like raid type/disk count/type of queries/indexes etc. etc.
>
> But it sounds like the machine is to weak to handle 1000 concurrent queries.

Oh my, I missed the windows part.  If you need to handle 1000
concurrent queries, I can't think of any db I'd want to use on windows
to do that.  Even Oracle would advise you to run on some flavor of
unix.  Maybe MSSQL server can handle it.

OTOH, 20 to 100 spindles on an 8 to 16 CPU machine might be able to
keep up if the queries are small enough and you use query pooling.