Re: Maximum number of concurrent users

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: Maximum number of concurrent users
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 9:49 AM, Kesavan <kesavan@emmeskay.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> We are using PostgreSQL 8.3.1 version under windows.
> We want to know whether there is any limit on Maximum number of concurrent
> users.
> In specific, can Postgres handle 1000 concurrent queries?

Sure.  Give it enough hardware, and it can handle 1,000 concurrent
select field from table where pkey = 2345 type queries pretty well.  I
wouldn't try to run 1,000 reporting queries hitting four tables with
1B to 1G to 1Tera rows or anything.

> Regarding our Data size,
>
> We have 40 tables and in total we have 2GB data.
> We are using normal Pentium Quad core processor, 3GHZ system with 2GB RAM as
> Database Server.

Well, since we have no idea what your usage pattern will be, this
question is a little bit like "how many angels can dance on the head
of a pin?"  i would put more memory in your server so it can fit in
memory easily.  4Gig should be enough.  8Gig would be more than
enough.  But if you're running transactions. you're gonna have to tell
us what kind of drive subsystem you have, cause one drive won't handle
it.

Note that in transactional work, number of drives and their
configuration are probably more important than anything else.

Сообщение: Re: Maximum number of concurrent users
Сообщение: Re: Maximum number of concurrent users