Re: [Fwd: performance: view or function?]

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: [Fwd: performance: view or function?]
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 4:16 AM, Julius Tuskenis <julius@nsoft.lt> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  I have one question - what is the difference between the view and a
> function returning a data set? I mean the performance. Which is better to
> use? If its the same, I would use functions, because I could use other
> languages not just SQL to get the results I want.

Note that functional indexes may be a good choice for certain actions.
 If you always look up tuples based on something like "where
a*80+b<100 or something then a functional index on ((a*80+b)) might be
more useful than a view.  You can also create a custom immutable
function and index on that to make it a bit cleaner.

Сообщение: Re: [Fwd: performance: view or function?]
Сообщение: Re: [Fwd: performance: view or function?]