Re: Is my database now too big?

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: Is my database now too big?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On 10/17/07, Darren Reed <darrenr@fastmail.net> wrote:
> Darren Reed wrote:
> > For better or worse, it seems to be behaving itself again for a while...
> >
> > There was, however, one change to my procedure and that was to
> > drop the triggers/functions when restoring the data (using copy into).
>
> Perhaps I spoke too soon...
>
> # /usr/pkg/bin/pg_dumpall -O -U postgres -a > /data/dumpall
> pg_dump: [archiver (db)] connection to database "template1" failed:
> FATAL:  out of memory
> DETAIL:  Failed on request of size 20.
> pg_dumpall: pg_dump failed on database "template1", exiting
>
> ...for better or worse, I'm interfacing to postgresql using perl's DBI
> interface.
> Are there likely to be any issues from that?  (Although I can't see how
> a client
> should be able to cause the server to become corrupt unless there's a bug in
> the server.)

Perl and DBI are fine.  You really need to stop using an alpha release
of an OS though.  There's no way to know if the problems you're
experiencing are coming from that or something else.

Once you're on a stable OS release, start testing again and let us
know if anything breaks.

But like Tom likes to say, if postgresql breaks running on an alpha OS
release, you get to keep both pieces.