Re: Scalability Design Questions

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: Scalability Design Questions
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 9/8/07, novnov <novnovice@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes the trx would be akin to banking operations.
>
> This is good: "Can you partition your data to multiple servers?" That's kind
> of my question! <g> I've not dealt with RAC, data partitioning, any of those
> topics; just haven't had exposure. But since you're asking me if the data
> can be partitioned to different servers, it must mean that at least under
> some cirucumstances, postgres can do this.

Not sure you understood my question.  I'm talking about partitioning
your database into multiple unrelated parts.  I.e. people with last
names starting with a-m on one and n-z on the other, that kind of
thing.  The partitioning would be part of your app, and your app would
hit the right pgsql machine.

Again, it has a LOT to do with what exactly your trying to do.
Solutions don't present themselves until you define the problem you're
trying to solve.  And the way to solve it in postgresql might be
different than how you'd do it with a different database.