Re: error: connection to server on socket...

От Tomas Pospisek
Тема Re: error: connection to server on socket...
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 01.08.23 12:22, Amn Ojee Uw wrote:
> Using the following command on my Debian 12 machine:
>
>     sudo apt-get install postgresql postgresql-15 postgresql-client-common postgresql-common postgresql-contrib
postgresql-docphppgadmin

> and following the instruction on this
> <https://wiki.debian.org/PostgreSql#User_access> web page I have
> installed PostgreSQL-15.
> The installation went smooth, until the following command was issued :
>
>     sudo -u postgres psql
>
> ... I get an error message that reads:
>
>     could not change directory to "/home/my_account": Permission denied
>     psql: error: connection to server on socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432" failed: No such file or
directory
>         Is the server running locally and accepting connections on that socket?
>
> What can I do to resolve this issue?

When executing the `sudo` command above:

* as which user are you doing that (you can see that via `id`)?
* in which directory are you executing it  (you can see that via `pwd`)?
* what is the home directory of the postgres user (you can see that via
`grep postgres /etc/passwd`)
* what does `ls -ld /var/run/postgresql/; ls -l
/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432` show?

You also wrote:

 > I tried this, but to no avail : `sudo systemctl start postgresql`

- what does `journalctl -xeu postgresql` say?
- what does `tail -n 20
/var/log/postgresql/postgresql-*-qgisclouddb.log` show?

*t