Re: Part way there, how do I complete it

От ray
Тема Re: Part way there, how do I complete it
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Apr 15, 4:17 pm, ray <Ray.Jos...@CDICorp.com> wrote:
> On Apr 15, 3:15 pm, ray <Ray.Jos...@CDICorp.com> wrote:
>
> > I have just installed pgsql on a Windows XP from my administrator
> <snip>

I closed down everything and tried to start back up and failed.  From
pgAdmin, there is a red 'x' in the icon for my new server.  When I try
to connect to the server I get an error message entitled "Server
doesn't listen".  In a command window, I have this interaction:

C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\bin>"pg_ctl" -D "Files/PostgreSQL/8.3/
data" -l logfile start
server starting

C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\bin>pg_ctl stop -m fast
pg_ctl: PID file "C:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/8.3/data/postmaster.pid"
does not exist
Is server running?

The Properties tab shows:
Connected?  No

So it looks like neither method works now.  The log file contains:
postgres cannot access the server configuration file "C:/Program Files/
PostgreSQL/8.3/bin/Files/PostgreSQL/8.3/ data/postgresql.conf": No
such file or directory

It looks like there are two problems here:
1)  The part of the string /8.3/ data/ has a space in it before
'data'.  The actual path does not.  I don't know how to get it pointed
to the right location.
2)  There seems to be redundant locations.  I also have that same conf
file in:  C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\data
I think this later location is correct.  Should I try to point it in
the right direction (how?) or should I attempt to reinstall the whole
thing?

I would appreciate any comments.

Thanks,
Ray