Re: [HACKERS] 'a' == 'a '

От John D. Burger
Тема Re: [HACKERS] 'a' == 'a '
Дата
Список pgsql-general
[Removed all the non-list addresses]

Dann Corbit wrote:

> Let me make something clear:
> When we are talking about padding here it is only in the context of a
> comparison operator and NOT having anything to do with storage.
>
> Given two strings of different in a comparison, most database systems
> (by default) will blank pad the shorter string so that they are the
> same
> length before performing the comparison.
>
> Hence, you will see that 'Danniel' = 'Danniel ' is true in most cases.
>
> Now, this really does not have any connection with storage or varchar
> or
> bpchar or char or text or anything like that.

Is this really true??? My understanding of the spec was that this was
=exactly= the difference between char(N) and varchar(N) - the former is
padded to length N when you store it, or at least the DB has to act as
if this is the case.  Can someone quote the appropriate chapter and
verse?

Thanks.

- John D. Burger
   MITRE