Re: Will PostgreSQL 16 supports native transparent data encryption ?

От Ron
Тема Re: Will PostgreSQL 16 supports native transparent data encryption ?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 8/24/23 14:08, Stephen Frost wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> * Ron (ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com) wrote:

>>> Not, PG 16 will not support it, and I am unclear if later major versions
>>> will either.
>> That's disappointing, since TDE makes PCI audits that much simpler.
> There's ongoing work happening for TDE support and we'd love to hear
> from folks who would like to see it included.

PgBackRest currently encrypts it's binary backups.

1. What kind of encryption would there be?  AES256 makes the auditors happy.
2. Would TDE-enabled pg_dump create encrypted dump files?
3. Would TDE obviate the need for PgBackRest's encryption?
4. How would encrypted "pg_dump --format=plain" work?  Or could it only work
with the other formats (which is fine by me)?

>    You can expect an updated patch set for the September commitfest.

For that which will be Pg 17?

> Getting more folks to test it
> and use it and review it would certainly help move it forward.

By any chance, will binaries be created after the September commitfest?
(Hoops must be jumped through to get development packages installed on the
database servers I have access to, but I'd jump through them if needed.)

--
Born in Arizona, moved to Babylonia.