Re: Auto-updated fields

От Christopher Browne
Тема Re: Auto-updated fields
Дата
Re: Auto-updated fields
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 1:23 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> Robert Treat wrote:

>> > Any progress on this?  TODO?
>>
>> I think this is a TODO, but not sure who is working on it or what needs to be
>> done. The generic version in pagila is perhaps not generic enough:
>>
>> CREATE FUNCTION last_updated() RETURNS trigger
>>     AS $$
>> BEGIN
>>     NEW.last_update = CURRENT_TIMESTAMP;
>>     RETURN NEW;
>> END $$
>>     LANGUAGE plpgsql;
>>
>> It requires you name your column last_update, which is what the naming
>> convention is in pagila, but might not work for everyone.  Can someone work
>> with that and move forward? Or maybe give a more specific pointer to the
>> generic trigger stuff (I've not looked at it before)
>
> Well, I thought it was a good idea, but no one seems to want to do the
> work.

I'd like to see more options than that, which, it seems to me,
establishes a need for more design work.

Another perspective on temporality is to have a "transaction column"
which points (via foreign key) to a transaction table, where you would
use currval('transaction_sequence') as the value instead of
CURRENT_TIMESTAMP.

Thus...

create or replace function update_txid () returns trigger as $$
beginif TG_OP = 'UPDATE' then    NEW.tx_id := currval('some-schema.tx_sequence');    return NEW;else    raise exception
'txupdate requested on non-update request - %', TG_OP;end if;return NEW;

end
$$ language plpgsql;

Thus, I'd encourage having the column as well as the kind of value
(timestamp vs sequence value) both being parameters for this.
Calvin Trillin  - "Health food makes me sick."