Re: Auto-updated fields

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: Auto-updated fields
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

Christopher Browne wrote:

>>> I think this is a TODO, but not sure who is working on it or what needs to be
>>> done. The generic version in pagila is perhaps not generic enough:
>>>
>>> CREATE FUNCTION last_updated() RETURNS trigger
>>>     AS $$
>>> BEGIN
>>>     NEW.last_update = CURRENT_TIMESTAMP;
>>>     RETURN NEW;
>>> END $$
>>>     LANGUAGE plpgsql;
>>>
>>> It requires you name your column last_update, which is what the naming
>>> convention is in pagila, but might not work for everyone.  Can someone work
>>> with that and move forward? Or maybe give a more specific pointer to the
>>> generic trigger stuff (I've not looked at it before)
>>>
>> Well, I thought it was a good idea, but no one seems to want to do the
>> work.
>>

> I'd like to see more options than that, which, it seems to me,
> establishes a need for more design work.

At the very least it should not have a hard-coded field name in it. You
should pass the field name to be set as a parameter in the trigger setup.

That's probably a lot more doable if the trigger is written in C, and in
any case I think any prepackaged triggers we provide should be written in C.

cheers

andrew