Re: Tab completion for ALTER INDEX|TABLE ALTER COLUMN SET STATISTICS

От Tatsuro Yamada
Тема Re: Tab completion for ALTER INDEX|TABLE ALTER COLUMN SET STATISTICS
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2018/11/26 11:05, Tatsuro Yamada wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Attached patches are following:
>
> * tab_completion_alter_index_set_statistics.patch
>      - Add column name completion after ALTER COLUMN
>      - Avoid schema completion after SET STATISTICS
>
> * fix_manual_of_alter_index.patch
>      - ALTER INDEX ALTER COLUMN syntax is able to use not only
>        column number but also column name. So, I fixed the manual.
>
> * tab_completion_alter_table_set_statistics.patch
>      - Avoid schema completion after SET STATISTICS

I couldn't write patches details on previous email, so I write
more explanation for that on this email.

* tab_completion_alter_index_set_statistics.patch
=======
There are two problems. You can use these DDL before testing.
   #create table hoge (a integer, b integer);
   #create index ind_hoge on hoge (a, (a + b), (a * b));

   1) Can't get column names

     # alter index ind_hoge alter column <tab!><tab!>... but can't complete.

   2) I expected column names for column numbers after "SET STATISTICS", but
      tab-completion gave schema names

     # alter index ind_hoge alter column expr SET STATISTICS <tab!>
     information_schema.  pg_catalog.          pg_temp_1.           pg_toast.            pg_toast_temp_1.     public.

Applied the patch:

   1) We can get column names after "alter column".

     # alter index ind_hoge alter column <tab!>
     a      expr   expr1

   2) Fix!
     # alter index ind_hoge alter column expr SET STATISTICS <tab!>
=======

* fix_manual_of_alter_index_v2.patch (Attached on this email)
=======
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/sql-alterindex.html

The patch fixes the syntax on above manual.
   s/column_number/column_number \| column_name/
And also it adds an explanation for column_name.

Syntax of ALTER INDEX ALTER COLUMN SET STATISTICS on the manual is below:

   ALTER INDEX [ IF EXISTS ] name ALTER [ COLUMN ] column_number
       SET STATISTICS integer

But we can use not only column number but also column name like this:

   # alter index ind_hoge alter column 2 SET STATISTICS 100;
   ALTER INDEX
   # alter index ind_hoge alter column expr SET STATISTICS 100;
   ALTER INDEX
=======

* tab_completion_alter_table_set_statistics.patch
=======
For now, we can get schema name by tab-completion. It is not appropriate.

   # alter table hoge alter column a set statistics <tab!>
   information_schema.  pg_catalog.          pg_temp_1.           pg_toast.            pg_toast_temp_1.     public.

Applied the patch:

   # alter table hoge alter column a set statistics <tab!>
=======

Any feedback is welcome. :)

Thanks,
Tatsuro Yamada
NTT Open Source Software Center

Вложения

Сообщение: Re: logical decoding vs. VACUUM FULL / CLUSTER on table with TOAST-eddata
Сообщение: Re: logical decoding vs. VACUUM FULL / CLUSTER on table withTOAST-ed data