Delphi - Developers start develop Access components for Postgres?

От Daniel Schuchardt
Тема Delphi - Developers start develop Access components for Postgres?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hy,

in thread "Adventures in Quest for GUI RAD" there awnsered some Delphi -
Developers.
We actually use Delphi to access PostgreSQL too. But with some problems:

The older Versions of microolab postgresql dac are absolutely trash. I
haven't tried the newer ones.
ODBC / Delphi BDE is ripped out by Borland.
ADO is Microsoft and we look for a not Microsoft dependend product
because are application also runs on unix (with Kylix).
dbexpress is really hard to handle; I dont have extended experience with
DBExpress and vitavoom - dbexpress driver. (www.vitavoom.com).

we use zeos but the older version because of we found many problems in
6.X - Versions. I have fixed up many bugs in zeos 5.4 so it now works
fine with postgres.(7.3-8 running) All in all i have to say Zeos works
but i'm not really happy with zeos because it seems not clear if it has
a future.

Components are very inefficient, every time you open a table all
configuration / table meta data is fetched. No internal caching or sth
like this. (they are still faster than dbexpress / odbc / Zeos6.X)
Fields with unknown length are mapped wrong.
and so on-

With Zeos 6.X you cannot use Postgresql - search path because 6.X
Versions always wrote schema name before table name. 6.X does not
support Cursor Fetch. 6.X isn't speacially for postgres, they try to
support all bigger databases.

Has anyone tried .net - pgsql - driver with Delphi 2005?

All in all my opinion is that there is no really good solution to access
Postgres from Delphi.

Perhaps we should start a project at pgfoundry "PostgreSQL - Access for
Delphi".

Opinions?

Daniel.