Re: Adventures in Quest for GUI RAD

От Daniel Schuchardt
Тема Re: Adventures in Quest for GUI RAD
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Arthur Hoogervorst schrieb:

>Hi,
>
>The company I work for actually uses the Zeos lib/Postgres extensively
>to track the shipping and sales side for almost 3 years.
>
>We're still running on a 7.2/7.4 Postgres database, because I haven't
>been convinced yet to either update or upgrade to 8.x.x. I'm curious
>if others have successfully moved their (production) database
>successfully to Postgres 8.0.
>

>Regards,
>

>Arthur
>
>On 5/9/05, Philippe Lang <philippe.lang@attiksystem.ch> wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I'm testing Delphi 2005 at the moment, with ZEOS Lib (libpq), and I have to say it work fine, as Tony mentioned. I
havea few questions:

>>1) I'm curious: are there a lot of big projects using ZEOS with PG or is that technology still relatively new? I
wouldlike to use it a replacement for ODBC, but I have no experience regarding its stability.

Hy,

we use zeos too but the older version because of we found many problems
in 6.X - Versions. I have fixes up many bugs in zeos 5.4 so it now works
fine with postgres. All in all i have to say Zeos works but i'm not
really happy with zeos because it seems not clear for if ut has a future.

What versions of Zeoslib do you use?
Do you use lo with zeos?

With Zeos 6.X you cannot use Postgresql - search path because 6.X
Versions always wrote schema name before table name. 6.X does not
support Cursor Fetch.
Components are very inefficient, every time you open a table all
configuration / table meta data is fetched. No internal caching or sth
like this.
Fields with unknown length are mapped wrong.
and so on-

Has anyone here tried Delphi dbexpress with www.vitavoom.com - dbexpress
driver?
Has anyone tried .net - pgsql - driver with Delphi 2005?

All in all my opinion is that there is no really good solution to access
Postgres from Delphi.

Are here many Delphi - Developers? Perhaps we should start a project at
pgfoundry "PostgreSQL - Access for Delphi". I spend very much time to
fix up Zeos-lib. So perhaps we can share.
(Last week i fixes a bug with "--" comment style for example; that style
of comments wasnt accepted because ZeosLib deleted all #10#13 and so
everything was a single line -> everything after "--" was a comment for PG)

Daniel.