Re: Shrinking SVG (Again)

От Laurenz Albe
Тема Re: Shrinking SVG (Again)
Дата
Список pgsql-docs

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAEkD-mBFQb61gHNWR0cN5K4G4q-i1PRwNn_OKVkKSaaJa5_LbA%40mail.gmail.com#67104a6097e63371c527b14ff43ddafb

> is not yet committed. But this chapter is a good place for the graphics.
> Will the GSoD patch become part of the documentation?

Both Tom and me showed interest, and the feedback was that some things
could be improved.  I have not heard back from the author since;
I hope she didn't get discouraged.

There were definitely some things there that shouldn't go to waste.

> Any comments? Errors in the graphics? Suggestions? What's about the GSoD
> patch?

I particularly like the first image with the memory and process architecture.

Some mistakes:

- wal_buffers is shared memory, but it is not a part of shared_buffers

- The process that performs most of the writes to the data files is
  the checkpointer.  Sometimes backends also have to write to data
  files.

Minor quibbles:

- The "server process" is traditionally called "backend process"

- "Special purpose memory" is strange.
  I thing "private memory" would be better.
  I don't know how it could be depicted that each of the backends
  has his own.

I liked the "cluster / database / schema" image less.

Some problems:

- No user data should be stored in the "postgres" database.

- "template0" has *no* other schemas or tables.
  It must be absolutely empty.

- I am missing the global objects like roles and tablespaces
  "outside" the databases.

I am fine with the directory layout image, but I wonder what
"fluctuating states" may be.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe