Drop and reload table to clear corruption?

От jboes@nexcerpt.com (Jeff Boes)
Тема Drop and reload table to clear corruption?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
We have a few tables that seem to have suffered some kind of
corruption in their TOAST files.  Symptoms include:

 + Runaway CPU usage during VACUUM ANALYZE (load average
   spikes of 20x normal for 10-15 minutes at a time) and
   more rarely during other operations

 + Recurring messages of "ERROR:  Parent tuple was not found"
   during VACUUM FULL

We have upgraded from 7.2.1 to 7.2.3 without apparent effect.  Now
what I would like to try is:

1. pg_dump the table

2. truncate the table

3. VACUUM FULL  (is this necessary?)

4. reload from pg_dump file

However, due to the very large number of foreign key constraints into
this table, I really don't want to drop the table, nor do I want to
trigger cascading deletes or updates.  Can I use the same snippet of
code generated by pg_dump to disable the triggers?  Are there any
other precautions I should take?

Please CC me on any responses, as I read this list via NNTP, and
news.postgresql.org seems to be on the blink this week.