Re: Restiring pg_dump text file

От Scott Mead
Тема Re: Restiring pg_dump text file
Дата
Список pgsql-admin

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 11:26 PM, <donghe@caltech.edu> wrote:
> I've backed up my DB via 'pg_dump dbname' using no options. In order to
> restore it via psql, do I first need to drop the db instance and recreate
> it?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> -Mike

yes, you have to drop the original db, then use psql -f to restore it.

  You don't have to drop it, you can create another db by any other name and re-run the sql file there.  The only time you have to worry is if you use the -C (--create) option to pg_dump.  This would actually issue a 'create database' command in the sql dump.  But for you, you can restore to another database if you would like.  That being said, if this is production, I would be careful to not 'accidentally' run the sql file against the wrong database, so for your own sanity, you may want to just drop the db.  But there's no *requirement* that you do so.

--Scott