Re: OID's

От Kostis Mentzelos
Тема Re: OID's
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Michael Glaesemann wrote:

> On Nov 15, 2004, at 3:52 PM, Jamie Deppeler wrote:
>
>>  Hi,
>>
>>  I am planning to use OID for referencing as instead PK -->> FK on
>> this situation would require alot of tables, OID would seen to nice
>> solution.
>>
>>  My worry with OID's is when i do SQL dump and rebuild the Database
>> will OID will change making referencing certain  records impossible.
>

> Don't use OIDS. Just add a nice SERIAL column to the tables you want as
> foreign keys (and if you have questions about sequences, check the FAQ).
>
> OIDS are a system level implementation. They are no longer required (you
> can make tables without OIDS) and they may go away someday. Plus, you
> avoid nastiness like OID wraparound.
>
> Michael Glaesemann
> grzm myrealbox com
>
> (Is it just me, or have there been a slew of these OID posts lately?)

I have read about oid wraparound in many messages but I don't understand
when it happens and when it is dangerus for my tables.

It affects developers that uses OIDS in their queryies?
What about database and tables (not total or total) disappearences?

Kostis.

От: "Nils Rennebarth"
Сообщение: Controlling maximal on-disk size of a table
От: Marco Bizzarri
Сообщение: Certifications in military environment