Re: embedded pgsql media-failure

От Kokas Zsolt
Тема Re: embedded pgsql media-failure
Дата
Re: embedded pgsql media-failure  (Sam Mason <sam@samason.me.uk>)
Список pgsql-general
> partitions.  The OS should be able to deal with disk issues much more
> robustly than PG.  If you were more or less worried about things I

As I see it now, it will be really the Soft-RAID what will suit for
everybody here (including me) as well.

> I'm not sure if you're trying to solve the wrong problem though, flash
> file systems should be used to dealing with this sort of issue and
> would be in a position to provide much more useful mechanisms than just
> duplicating everything.  I've got (second-hand) recommendations of
> YAFFS, and have heard good things about JFFS2 as well.

What I see from them is that they supported wear-leveling before
wear-leveling was included into the drives. Currently I have a 16G
SLC-based Swissbit CF-card. Practically the only high-tech part.
Personally I have no practice with any flash file systems, so I would
stick to ext3. Well, I wouldn't say I would have much more expertise
with ext3 and soft-RAID.

> Also, it sounds as though PG may be overkill for this sort of scenario,
> it tends to be pretty write heavy which is something you probably don't
> want to be doing too much of on a flash device.  Have you looked at
> anything simpler, maybe sqllite?

Well, I've worked a bit with Oracle before, so PG is quite handy for
me right now. Practically this decision was made before my arrival, I
was basically asked, if I can learn PG too. I'm learning...
PG - and database - was the decision because the flat files were
managed over 15 years, sometimes partly rewritten, revisited and my
real job is to adjust some in the application code as well for the
configuration part of the DB. Guanistical software development :)

Kokas