Re: PostgreSQL website translations

От Adrian Maier
Тема Re: PostgreSQL website translations
Дата
Список pgsql-www
On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 11:49 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 11:32:28AM +0200, Adrian Maier wrote:
>  > On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 1:00 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>  > >
>  > >  > Despite the lack of answer, I think there is interest in translating the
>  > >  > website. But there's a few things to do before adding the translation. I
>  > >  > need to remember what Magnus told me about this last november :) ( ...
>  > >  > if I remember well, I had to find some way to figure out if pages are
>  > >  > out of date and if possible show the english page if the translated page
>  > >  > is out of date ... something like this but Magnus will correct me if I'm
>  > >  > wrong). Oh, and the pictures need to be "translatable" too.
>  > >
>  > >  My apologies for not responding to this one earlier. It's certainly bee
>  > >  on my list to do.
>  > >
>  > >  I think what we really need before we can proceed properly with this is
>  > >  a "www code hacker" who can work the translation code. Not just a
>  > >  translator (don't get me wrong, we need a bunch of translators as well
>  > >  of course). Someone who can basically take responsibility for fixing up
>  > >  the code to work with the translations. There are a lot of small things
>  > >  broken in it AFAIK, and they need to be fixed. Guillaume mentions a
>  > >  couple of them, I think there are a few more. And some sections just
>  > >  don't have translatability implemented (yet).
>  > >
>  > >  There's no rocket science level code in the website, but said someone
>  > >  certainly needs to have a fairly good grasp of PHP and of coding in
>  > >  general. And most important - needs to have time to work on it.
>  > >
>  > >  As usual, this is best done in an incremental fashion rather than
>  > >  dumping a mega-patch in there - it'll be much more likely to be reviewed
>  > >  and applied quickly then.
>  > >
>  > >  But in the end, I think there is certainly interest in doing it. The
>  > >  reason the "current web team" is a bit slow on this is that we don't
>  > >  have what it takes to maintain such things once they are in right now -
>  > >  which is why we need someone to step up for the long term there. (IMO,
>  > >  of course, other members of the team may disagree on this, but I don't
>  > >  think they do)
>  >
>  > Shame I didn't know 6 months ago that there are little chances to
>  > have a translation accepted before certain things are adjusted in
>  > the web infrastructure first :  i had plenty of time last autumn and
>  > winter. And instead of translating the already outdated pages and
>  > receiving no feedback I could have digged into the PHP parts of
>  > the site ...
>
>  Yeah, apoligies for that. I think it was kind of implied, but we never did
> [...]

When an English page is modified we could :
- immediately send a notice to the translators.  Automatically added Trac
tickets seem to be a cool idea if it's possible.
- keep displaying the old translated page for 4-5 days
- if the translation is not yet ready we could invalidate the
page : move it somewhere else and start displaying the
English page until the translation is ready.
Or, instead of moving away the page we could add an
"outdated page since yyyy-mm-dd" warning .

Either way , I think that it would be better to give the translators
a few days to do the update before hiding or marking the page.

But first of all,  we'll need a good way to store the last_modification_date
for each page : each page (English and translations alike) need to
be "stamped"  with a date or date+time .   The date of the svn
revision is not good enough because relying on it is the perfect
recipe for missing modifications if they are occuring before the
translators finishes the translation of a previous version.

Here is a scenario :
- 8-apr: the English page is modified+committed
- 8-apr: the translator starts translating
- 9-apr: the English page is modified+committed again
- 10-apr: the translation gets committed (but it has the contents for 8-apr)

So,  I think that we'll need to build some mechanisms for dealing
with the page versions/trabslations outside of what does svn offer.

Cheers,
Adrian Maier

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL website translations
Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL website translations