Re: PostgreSQL website translations

От Guillaume Lelarge
Тема Re: PostgreSQL website translations
Дата
Список pgsql-www
Adrian Maier a écrit :
> On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 11:49 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 11:32:28AM +0200, Adrian Maier wrote:
>>  > On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 1:00 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>>[...]
>>  > Perhaps it would be useful to have the things that need to be fixed
>>  > added on Trac ?
>>
>>  That's a very good idea. First we just have to agree on what they are :-)
>>
>>  I think one big question that we never did solve the last time is what to
>>  do with pages that are out-of-date. E.g. when the english version of a page
>>  is updated, and the translated one isn't, what do we do with it... Show it
>>  anyway, remove it, somehow indicate it... Once we've decided what we want
>>  to do about it, then we can start debating how to do it (which is where the
>>  point of cvs/svn etc comes back in), and start adding tickets for them.
>
> When an English page is modified we could :
> - immediately send a notice to the translators.  Automatically added Trac
> tickets seem to be a cool idea if it's possible.
> - keep displaying the old translated page for 4-5 days

Nope. If a page is modified, it should just display the english one.

> - if the translation is not yet ready we could invalidate the
> page : move it somewhere else and start displaying the
> English page until the translation is ready.
> Or, instead of moving away the page we could add an
> "outdated page since yyyy-mm-dd" warning .

I don't think we need to move the obsolete translated webpage. The PHP
code should simply display the english one.

> Either way , I think that it would be better to give the translators
> a few days to do the update before hiding or marking the page.

Nope. There's no reason to do this. If the english page fixes an error
(content, not grammar or things like this), I prefer to have the fixed
english one rather than the translated but wrong one.

> But first of all,  we'll need a good way to store the last_modification_date
> for each page : each page (English and translations alike) need to
> be "stamped"  with a date or date+time .   The date of the svn
> revision is not good enough because relying on it is the perfect
> recipe for missing modifications if they are occuring before the
> translators finishes the translation of a previous version.
>
> Here is a scenario :
> - 8-apr: the English page is modified+committed
> - 8-apr: the translator starts translating
> - 9-apr: the English page is modified+committed again
> - 10-apr: the translation gets committed (but it has the contents for 8-apr)

Oh OK. I understand your example. But if we can't rely on a svn hook to
stamp each file, I also don't think we can rely on a manual
modification, do we ?

> So,  I think that we'll need to build some mechanisms for dealing
> with the page versions/trabslations outside of what does svn offer.

Do you have any ideas of what this could be ?

There's another issue that we'll need to answer : localised search. If I
remember well Magnus's talk at FOSDEM, the search on www.postgresql.org
relies on an english only dictionnary. How will french, romanian or
spanish pages affect the current search feature ?

Regards.

--
Guillaume. http://www.postgresqlfr.org http://dalibo.com

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL website translations
Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL website translations