Re: creation of foreign key without checking prior data?

От Peter Hunsberger
Тема Re: creation of foreign key without checking prior data?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 12:44 PM, hubert depesz lubaczewski
<depesz@depesz.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 12:31:14PM -0500, Peter Hunsberger wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 11:40 AM, hubert depesz lubaczewski
>> <depesz@depesz.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > So, since (as we know) foreign keys are not fault-proof, wouldn't it be
>> > good to provide a way to create them without all this time-consuming
>> > check?
>>
>> No.
>>
>> If you don't want the behavior of a foreign key then just don't define
>> a foreign key. Load the data, clean it up, then create the foreign key
>
> I think you are missing the point. Data is clean. It's dump. creation of
> fkey takes time, and i'd like to avoid this delay.

You can't have a foreign key that doesn't have relational integrity,
it is no longer a foreign key.  If you don't want the delay then don't
define the key, at least until some point at which you can take the
delay.  If there is never such a time then your operational scenario
needs changing, not Postgres...

--
Peter Hunsberger