Re: [HACKERS] Built-in plugin for logical decoding output

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Built-in plugin for logical decoding output
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 09/25/2017 11:31 AM, Alvaro Hernandez wrote:

>> Whether or not they are included in a managed environment is generally
>> based on two things:
>>
>>     1. Safety (why RDS doesn't allow certain C extensions)
>>     2. Community/Popularity (Exactly why RDS has PostGIS)
>>         A. Demand with a prerequisite of #1
>
>      This is very clear. Now tell me: how many output plugins do you see
> included in RDS. And in GCP's PostgreSQL? Azure Postgres? Heroku?
From RDS:

Logical Replication for PostgreSQL on Amazon RDS

Beginning with PostgreSQL version 9.4, PostgreSQL supports the streaming
of WAL changes using logical replication slots. Amazon RDS supports
logical replication for a PostgreSQL DB instance version 9.4.9 and
higher and 9.5.4 and higher. Using logical replication, you can set up
logical replication slots on your instance and stream database changes
through these slots to a client like pg_recvlogical. Logical slots are
created at the database level and support replication connections to a
single database.

PostgreSQL logical replication on Amazon RDS is enabled by a new
parameter, a new replication connection type, and a new security role.
The client for the replication can be any client that is capable of
establishing a replication connection to a database on a PostgreSQL DB
instance.

The most common clients for PostgreSQL logical replication are AWS
Database Migration Service or a custom-managed host on an AWS EC2
instance. The logical replication slot knows nothing about the receiver
of the stream; there is no requirement that the target be a replica
database. Note that if you set up a logical replication slot and do not
read from the slot, data can be written to your DB instance's storage
and you can quickly fill up the storage on your instance.

"""

I don't see why others wouldn't be available either. In fact, I am not
sure why you couldn't use the JSON ones now. (Although I have not tested
it).

JD

Advocate: @amplifypostgres || Learn: https://pgconf.us
*****     Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own.   *****