Re: Online course for those who want tot contribute

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: Online course for those who want tot contribute
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 10/06/2016 10:39 AM, Andrew Borodin wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> From time to time I teach at Ural Federal University. Currently
> university wants me to make up online course. They are going to put it
> to platform like edX or something.
>
> I do not want to do another general programming course, so I made up
> my mind to do a “postgres-hacker” course. But according to my research
> topic course must be related to access methods, this is one of
> requirements from university.
>
> I need to compose list of homeworks related to usual skills necessary
> for a hacker.
>
> I’m going to put on the list training on building from source, testing
> and reviewing patches, reading mailing lists.
>
> How do you think, what skills are most important for someone who wants
> to contribute to PostgreSQL? How they can be converted to homework
> task? What homework tasks do you see useful in spite of AM accent?
> M.B. Like track and fix a bug in a specific patch?

There are two types of hackers within this community:

Hacking internals (similar to Linux Kernel)
Hacking Generalist (Working around PG's limitations)

The first one would be more beneficial for the community but the second
would be more beneficial for someone using something like EdX.

Sincerely,

jD

                         +1-503-667-4564