Re: Controlling CPU Usage in PostgreSQL

От Aaron Bono
Тема Re: Controlling CPU Usage in PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On 8/1/06, Chris Mair <list@1006.org> wrote:
On Tue, 2006-08-01 at 14:22 -0500, Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-08-01 at 13:59, Aaron Bono wrote:
> > Is there a way to tell PostgreSQL to change the nice value of a
> > particular connection?  I guess I could use renice but that means a
> > lot of shell scripting to determine what PID to change - I am not a
> > shell script expert and would rather not pursue that option.
>
> This is one of those things that only seems like a good idea at the
> time.
>
> While nice-ing the whole of a postgresql server is doable, nice-ing
> individual connections is no advisable.
>
> You can reach a bad state caused by "priority inversion".  Search the
> lists (not just admin) for that phrase and you should find out what I
> mean.  This should probably be a FAQ, as it shows up every few months.

I started going down that same road in May... here's the thread from
then explaining why it's a bad idea after all:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2006-05/msg00462.php

I didn't really have my heart set on doing this, just was wondering if I could and how.

This has been a good eye opener though.  It will definitely have an impact on my future design of both the database and multi-threaded applications.

Thanks guys!

   Aaron Bono
   Aranya Software Technologies, Inc.
   http://www.aranya.com