Re: Insert NULL value with to_numeric()

От Aaron Bono
Тема Re: Insert NULL value with to_numeric()
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On 7/19/06, Ghislain Bob Hachey <ghachey@pipolfastaem.gov.sb> wrote:
Hello all,

I'm a newbie.  PostgreSQL 8.1.4. Fedora Core 5.

I'm writing a small java application that will import CSV txt files into
my DB.  The SQL statement I'm sending to pgsql looks like this:

"INSERT into table (col1,col2,col3) values (to_number(?,
'999'),to_timestamp(?, 'MM/DD/YYYY HH24:MI:SS'),to_number(?, '9999');

Values are taken from a String array.

sometimes in col3 (smallint in pgsql DB) I need to insert a NULL value
but when I do I get the following error message:

invalid input syntax for type numeric: " "

I've search the archives and Internet and found similar situations but I
guess not experienced enough to fix this myself with info that I've
found.

Why use to_number or to_timestamp?  I assume you are using setString in your prepared statement.  In your Java code you can use setNull if the value is null and setInt or setLong or setTimestamp if it is not.  Then you don't need the to_number or to_timestamp.

Something like this:

Integer value1;
Date value2;
Integer value3;
PreparedStatement stmt = conn.prepareStatement(
   "INSERT INTO table (col1,col2,col3) " +
   "VALUES (?, ?, ?)"
);
int index = 1;
stmt.setInt(index++, value1.intValue());
stmt.setTimestamp(index++, new java.sql.Timestamp(value2.getTime()));
if (value3 == null) {
   stmt.setNull(index++, Types.INTEGER);
} else {
   stmt.setInt(index++, value3.intValue());
}

   Aaron Bono
   Aranya Software Technologies, Inc.
   http://www.aranya.com