Re: Local parent table and Foreign table(s) as partition(s), is it possible?

От Laurenz Albe
Тема Re: Local parent table and Foreign table(s) as partition(s), is it possible?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Wed, 2022-09-14 at 11:41 -0600, Sbob wrote:
> I see the below options in the CREATE FOREIGN TABLE, however I assume these would both connect
> to a master/parent table on the foreign server. Is it possible to have a Foreign Table that
> acts as a partition of a local parent table, via either method (INHERITS or PARTITION OF)?

Yes, exactly: a foreign table can be a partition of a local partitioned table.
This can be used to implement sharding, if the foreign data wrapper supports the "parallel append"
node introduced in PostgreSQL v14.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe