Re: The tragedy of SQL

От Edson Carlos Ericksson Richter
Тема Re: The tragedy of SQL
Дата
Список pgsql-general

Em 15/09/2021 21:55, Adrian Klaver escreveu:
> On 9/15/21 5:30 PM, FWS Neil wrote:
>>

>>> On Sep 15, 2021, at 2:44 PM, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com
>>> <mailto:mmoncure@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>

>>> I think you ought to recognize that many people on this list make
>>> money directly from managing that complexity :-).
>>>

>> I did not intend to disparage anyone.  People, including myself, make
>> money when they provide value and there is certainly value here.
>>
>> But, I am not sure I understand your inference.  Are you saying (and
>> I am not implying you are) that PostgreSQL does not progress in line
>> with the original SQL goals of simplifying data access because people
>> are making money off of the current complexity?
>>

> I'm going to say Merlin was being one part sarcastic, one part saying
> people may not want to bite the hand that feeds them.
>
> As to SQL, if Postgres wants to maintain it's goal of hewing to the
> SQL standard then what progress it came make is determined by the SQL
> standards committee.

I love the fact that PostgreSQL keep in sync with SQL standard. I love
SQL as it is (and I came from a world with Cobol, Clipper and Dbase, and
other 4GL etc tools).

Also, I teach SQL to my junior employees, and they love it once they
fully compreehends - even stop defending the NoSQL hype.

At other side, I would see no objection if someone else would implement
another language on top of PostgreSQL engine.

Just my 2c.

Regards,

Edson

Сообщение: Re: autocommit for multi call store procedure
Сообщение: Re: autocommit for multi call store procedure