Re: The tragedy of SQL

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: The tragedy of SQL
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 9/15/21 5:30 PM, FWS Neil wrote:

>> On Sep 15, 2021, at 2:44 PM, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com
>> <mailto:mmoncure@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>

>> I think you ought to recognize that many people on this list make
>> money directly from managing that complexity :-).
>>

> I did not intend to disparage anyone.  People, including myself, make
> money when they provide value and there is certainly value here.
>
> But, I am not sure I understand your inference.  Are you saying (and I
> am not implying you are) that PostgreSQL does not progress in line with
> the original SQL goals of simplifying data access because people are
> making money off of the current complexity?

I'm going to say Merlin was being one part sarcastic, one part saying
people may not want to bite the hand that feeds them.

As to SQL, if Postgres wants to maintain it's goal of hewing to the SQL
standard then what progress it came make is determined by the SQL
standards committee.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com