Re: [HACKERS] Surjective functional indexes

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Surjective functional indexes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 5/25/17 12:30, Konstantin Knizhnik wrote:
> Functions like (info->>'name') are named "surjective" ni mathematics.

A surjective function is one where each value in the output type can be
obtained by some input value.  That's not what you are after here.  The
behavior you are describing is a not-injective function.

I think you are right that in practice most functions are not injective.But I think there is still quite some
differencebetween a function

like the one you showed that selects a component from a composite data
structure and, for example, round(), where in practice any update is
likely to change the result of the function.