Re: Largest filesize under Linux

От byron@cc.gatech.edu (Byron A Jeff)
Тема Re: Largest filesize under Linux
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
In article <bcsba.1331$%s6.89002224@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,
Partho Bhowmick <pbhowmick@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
-Well, I am running kernel-2.4.18-26. What's the limit on this baby?

I strongly suggest that you go read my response to you on this subject. As
Christopher pointed out the kernel is only on aspect of determination.

I also gave you a quick test.

Go take a read. It will really help you.

BAJ
-
-"Christopher Browne" <cbbrowne@acm.org> wrote in message
-news:m3bs0hvfiv.fsf@chvatal.cbbrowne.com...
-> Quoth "Partho Bhowmick" <pbhowmick@sbcglobal.net>:
-> > I am working on extending the functionality of PostgreSQL on Linux.
-> > I need to know what's the largest filesize for a single file that I can
-have
-> > under Linux?
->
-> That depends.
->
-> It depends on the size supported by the filesystem.  Usually that's at
-> least 2TB, these days.  (For ext2)  Any of the interesting alternative
-> FSes (xfs, jfs, reiserfs) offer Way Big file sizes, >2TB.
->
-> But you also need for the file size to be supported by:
->  a) GLIBC, and
->  b) The kernel VFS.
->
-> I believe that recent kernels and GLIBCs allow arbitrary large files,
-> but you will have to check on your favorite kernel and libraries, as
-> milage may vary.  And it's disputable whether or not that is
-> necessarily going to be a "Linux" question...