Re: How to write such a query

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: How to write such a query
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 9/18/20 1:18 PM, Igor Korot wrote:
> Hi, Ken,
>
> On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 2:46 PM Ken Tanzer <ken.tanzer@gmail.com
> <mailto:ken.tanzer@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>          > How to find what the primary key (or UNIQUE identifier) value is
>          > for row 5 in the recordset?
>
>         You're missing the point: as mentioned before, there is no "row
>         update the 5th record that you've fetched, you increment a
>         counter each time
>         you fetch a row, and when you read #5, do an UPDATE X SET field1
>         = 'blarg'
>         WHERE id = <thekeyvalue>;
>

>     It seems worth mentioning for benefit of the OPs question that there
>     _is_ a way to get a row number within a result set.  Understanding
>     and making good use of that is an additional matter.
>
>     SELECT X.field1, Y.field2*,row_number() OVER ()*  from X, Y WHERE
>     X.id = Y.id -- ORDER BY ____?
>
>     That row number is going to depend on the order of the query, so it
>     might or might not have any meaning.  But if you queried with a
>     primary key and a row number, you could then tie the two together
>     and make an update based on that.
>

> Thank you for the info.
> My problem is that I want to emulate Access behavior.
>
> As I said - Access does it without changing the query internally (I
> presume).
>
> I want to do the same with PostgreSQL.
>
> I'm just trying to understand how to make it work for any query
>
> I can have 3,4,5 tables, query them and then update the Nth record in
> the resulting recordset.

You mean you are doing a join over 5 tables and then updating some
record that is the output of the join?

If so are you updating all the values or a value or some portion of the
values?

This is being done in a form or in the query builder?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Сообщение: Re: How to write such a query
Сообщение: Re: How to write such a query