Re: How to write such a query

От Francisco Olarte
Тема Re: How to write such a query
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Igor:
> My problem is that I want to emulate Access behavior.
> As I said - Access does it without changing the query internally (I presume).
> I want to do the same with PostgreSQL.

Use access connected to Postgres.

> I'm just trying to understand how to make it work for any query
> I can have 3,4,5 tables, query them and then update the Nth record in the resulting recordset.
> Access does it, PowerBuilder does it.

Now, jokes aside. Access, Powerbuilder are applications used to edit
databases ( among other things ).
Postgres is a database server which provides databases.

> I just want to understand how.

If you want to do the same thing in your app, they normally pull the
result of a query which some columns uniquely identifying the row, or
use a cursor and use the "WHERE CURRENT OFF" positioning. But YOUR APP
does it, postgres does no do it.

When Access does it the database is in postgres, or swl server, or
jet, or whatever. Access is not a database, in the sense postgres it.
Jet is.

Francisco Olarte.