Re: pasting into psql garbles text

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: pasting into psql garbles text
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 2:56 PM, Greg Stark<gsstark@mit.edu> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 7:26 PM, Merlin Moncure<mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> It doesn't matter the source application...it borks regardless if I
>> copy from Source insight/wine (my normal editor), gedit, or another
>> gnome terminal.
>
> Are these all gtk apps? Try pasting from an emacs or xterm?

copying from xterm to gtk I can't seem to get working...I can copy
_to_ xterm, but not from it (sigh).  Anyways, that doesn't explain why
the only terminal program that gets garbled is psql.

On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 4:28 PM, Tom Lane<tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> writes:
>> I confirmed that xterm does not exhibit the issue.  So this is at
>> least partially a terminal problem.  However, xterm does not directly
>> accept pastes from wine clipboard apparently. it only works if I copy
>> it to gedit first, then into xterm.
>
>> The _only_ terminal application that exhibits this behavior is psql.
>> specifically, vim does not.
>
> FWIW, I have noticed a limitation on how much can be pasted into psql
> without freezing it (not more than a few hundred characters, for me).
> It's not "garbled" ... psql just gets stuck and has to be SIGTERM'd.
> However, there's enough stuff in the chain that I'm not sure
> psql/readline is (solely) to blame --- I'm typically working through
> a remote xterm over an ssh'd X11 connection.

I'm starting to feel like my problems start appearing at a very fixed
size (like you, a few hundred or so).   Do you see this in other
programs (bash, vim, etc)? or only psql?

merlin