Re: Postgresql Materialized views

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: Postgresql Materialized views
Дата
Re: Postgresql Materialized views  ("Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki@enterprisedb.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Jan 12, 2008 4:19 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-01-12 at 13:27 +0100, Jean-Michel Pouré wrote:
>
> > Please pick-up this important issue for developpers. There is no need to
> > concentrate on complex issues, when handling materialized views could
> > boost somme web apps. by a factor of 10 or more.
>
> It's more complex than you think, but the main reason was that HOT was a
> prerequisite for making summary tables work efficiently, which is only
> now just about to go live into 8.3

+1

If you know how to write triggers, materialization techniques aren't
all that difficult.  The real technical limitation was not lack of
materialization techniques (write triggers), but was dealing with the
mvcc penalty.  Previously to HOT, for summary tables I would redirect
the trigger to insert to a 'roll up' table and move the data to the
summary on cron or from an application event.

Materialized views are syntax sugar (but still very sweet).

merlin

Сообщение: Re: Make pg_dump suppress COMMENT ON SCHEMA public ?
Сообщение: Re: Make pg_dump suppress COMMENT ON SCHEMA public ?