Re: What O/S or hardware feature would be useful for databases?

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: What O/S or hardware feature would be useful for databases?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 7/2/07, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> On 06/18/07 08:05, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> [snip]
> >
> > That being said, it's pretty clear to me we are in the last days of
> > the disk drive.
>
> Oh, puhleeze.  Seagate, Hitachi, Fuji and WD aren't sitting around
> with their thumbs up their arses.    In 3-4 years, large companies
> and spooky TLAs will be stuffing SANs with hundreds of 2TB drives.

haven't we had this debate before?

I don't know if you've been paying attention to what's going on in the
storage industry...Apple, Dell, Fuji, Sandisk, Intel, and others are
all making strategic plays in the flash market.  At the outset of
2007, flash was predicted to decline 50% for the year...so far, prices
have dropped 65% in the first two quarters.  Right now it's all about
the high end notebooks and media players but the high margin, high
rotation speed drives are next.  I admit the high density low speed
cold storage d2d backup systems will be the last to fall and will be
quite some ways off.

note by, 'next', and 'last days', i mean that pretty loosely...within
the next 5 years or so.  'dead' as well...there are many stages of
death to an enterprise legacy product.  I consider tape backups to be
nearly dead already, although there are many still in use.  d2d is
where it's at though.

merlin