Re: What O/S or hardware feature would be useful for databases?

От Ron Johnson
Тема Re: What O/S or hardware feature would be useful for databases?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 06/18/07 08:05, Merlin Moncure wrote:
[snip]

> That being said, it's pretty clear to me we are in the last days of
> the disk drive.

Oh, puhleeze.  Seagate, Hitachi, Fuji and WD aren't sitting around
with their thumbs up their arses.    In 3-4 years, large companies
and spooky TLAs will be stuffing SANs with hundreds of 2TB drives.

My (young) kids will be out of college before the density/dollar of
RAM gets anywhere near that of disks.  If it ever does.

What we are in, though, is the last decade of tape.

>                 When solid state drives become prevalent in server
> environments, database development will enter a new era...physical
> considerations will play less and less a role in how systems are
> engineered.

"Oh, puhleeze" redux.

There will always be physical considerations.  Why?

Even if static RAM drives *do* overtake spindles, you'll still need
to engineer them properly.  Why?

1) There's always a bottleneck.

2) There's always more data to "find" the bottleneck.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA