Re: compact flash disks?

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: compact flash disks?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 3/7/07, James Mansion <james@mansionfamily.plus.com> wrote:
> I see that one can now get compact flash to SATA connectors.
>
> If I were to use a filesystem with noatime etc and little non-sql traffic,
> does the physical update pattern tend to have hot sectors that will tend to
> wear out CF?
>
> I'm wondering about a RAID5 with data on CF drives and RAID1 for teh WAL on
> a fast SATA or SAS drive pair.  I'm thhinking that this would tend to have
> good performance because the seek time for the data is very low, even if the
> actual write speed can be slower than state of the art.  2GB CF isn't so
> pricey any more.
>
> Just wondering.

me too.  I think if you were going to do this I would configure as
raid 0.  Sequential performance might be a problem, and traditional
hard drive failure is not.  I think some of the better flash drives
spread out the writes so that life is maximized.

It's still probably cheaper buying a better motherboard and stuffing
more memory in it, and a good raid controller.

merlin