Re: COPY FROM STDIN instead of INSERT

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: COPY FROM STDIN instead of INSERT
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 10/18/06, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:

> >> "native types"?
> >
> > types operated on directly by the processor. int2, int4, int8, float4,
> > and float8, and their various aliases :).
> >
> > in short, i think using binary for anything other than bytea is a
> > waste of effort/time, except for bytea.
>
> That's counter-intuitive, since you'd (well, I'd) think that doing a
> binary copy would be faster since the code would bypass the int-to-
> ascii conversion.

you missed the point: binary copy is (very marginally) faster for
'native types' aka ints, etc.  however text fields are slower
according to my testing.  however, the speed differences are extremely
marginal overall.  only exception to this is binary (bytea)
fields...you get a 2x speed improvement easily due to skipping the
encoding.

merlin