Re: more anti-postgresql FUD

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: more anti-postgresql FUD
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 10/13/06, AgentM <agentm@themactionfaction.com> wrote:
> > No to mention if you are *that* concerned you could buy a generator
> > for
> > 500 bucks that will keep the machine alive if you absolutely have to.
> >
> > There is nothing wrong with write back cache as long as you have the
> > infrastructure to support it.
>
> Why does the battery have to be at that level? It's seems like a
> reasonable poor man's solution would be to have a standard $50 UPS
> plugged in and have the UPS signal postgresql to shut down and sync.
> Then, theoretically, it would be safe to run with fsync=off. The
> level of risk seems the same no?

1. your ups must be configured to power down your computer or you are
only delaying the inevitable for 10 minutes.  (a raid bbu might stay
alive for 24 hours)

2. less points of failure: ups doesnt help you if your cpu fries,
power supply fries, memory frieds, motherboard fries, o/s halts, etc
etc. :-)

3. experience has taught me not to put 100% faith in ups power switchover.

merlin