Re: pgsql vs mysql

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: pgsql vs mysql
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 6/30/06, Jim C. Nasby <jnasby@pervasive.com> wrote:
> Actually, PITR is in no way analagous. Try replicating something like
> 'INSERT INTO table SELECT random();' on MySQL and note how all the data
> is different.
>
> pgpool replication is equivalent to MySQL's replication. Or if you want
> more sophisticated replication, use Slony.

i think you are missing the point here...mysql binary log replication
is asynchronous and log based. it has some limitations and gotchas
like you noted but feels a lot like the pg pitr mechanism.  you get a
lot of power and use for a relatively little administative overhead
and an easy set up.  you can almost, but not quite, do the same thing
with pg pitr, although pitr is useful for a lot of other things.

slony, of course, is quite sophisticated and powerful but fills a
different need, i think.

> BTW, anyone curious about the differences should take a look at
> google:'mysql gotchas' (there's also a PostgreSQL section on that site).
> See also the MySQL/PostgreSQL thread that was on this list yesterday.

hm. that's all very true (and important), but I try and keep focus on
the things besides basic correctness that drive the development
cultural divide that seperates the two communities.  pg, besides being
a very project and surrounded by wonderful people, 'feels' right when
solving problems.  why does it feel right?  what kinds of things in
the database influence the development culture?  pg satisfies me on a
much deeper level that transcends feature 'x' or 'y' but stems from
something much more vital and vibrant.  it seems like the biggest
brains who really 'get it' are here, and that's why I'm here.

merlin