Re: Hardware related question: 3ware 9500S

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: Hardware related question: 3ware 9500S
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 4/12/06, Janning Vygen <vygen@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi,
> disk 1: OS, tablespace
> disk 2: indices, WAL, Logfiles
> - Does my partitioning make sense?

with raid 10 all four drives will appear as a single physical device
shared by all.  I'm personally not a big fan of logical partitioning
of a single raid device unless you are trying to keep a physical
volume under 1 TB for example.  Each sync on the volume is guaranteed
to sync all 4 disks regardless of how you set your partitions up.

> - I want to know if 3ware 9500 S is recommended or if its one of those
> controllers which sucks.

escalade is a fairly full featured raid controller for the price.
consider it the ford taurus of raid controllers, it's functional and
practical but not sexy.  Their S line is not native sata but operates
over a pata->sata bridge.  Stay away from raid 5.

merlin