Re: Hardware related question: 3ware 9500S

От Janning Vygen
Тема Re: Hardware related question: 3ware 9500S
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Thanks for your fast reply.

Am Mittwoch, 12. April 2006 18:31 schrieb Merlin Moncure:
> On 4/12/06, Janning Vygen <vygen@gmx.de> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > disk 1: OS, tablespace
> > disk 2: indices, WAL, Logfiles
> > - Does my partitioning make sense?
>
> with raid 10 all four drives will appear as a single physical device
> shared by all.  I'm personally not a big fan of logical partitioning
> of a single raid device unless you are trying to keep a physical
> volume under 1 TB for example.  Each sync on the volume is guaranteed
> to sync all 4 disks regardless of how you set your partitions up.

Ok, i am not a raid expert. but in my understanding RAID 10 is faster than two
RAID 1 arrays, aren't they? So, given that i can put up to 4 S-ATA disk in my
server and the mentioned raid controller. Would you prefer no-raid, RAID1 or
RAID 10?

> > - I want to know if 3ware 9500 S is recommended or if its one of those
> > controllers which sucks.
>
> escalade is a fairly full featured raid controller for the price.
> consider it the ford taurus of raid controllers, it's functional and
> practical but not sexy.  Their S line is not native sata but operates
> over a pata->sata bridge.  Stay away from raid 5.

thanks for your recommendation. ford taurus is ok for me :-)

kind regrads
janning